Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Washington Post: Interim Chancellor Henderson Steps Up


Interim D.C. Schools Chancellor Kaya Henderson officially planted her interim flag Wednesday morning in a brief message to DCPS parents, pledging a seamless transition from the Michelle Rhee era.

"Many of you know me well," the former Rhee deputy said. "A 13-year resident of the District, I've worked side-by-side with Michelle Rhee for nearly four years to shape the turnaround of our public schools."

Here's the full statement:

This week, I begin serving as your new Interim Chancellor of D,C, Public Schools. Although my title may be different, my steadfast dedication to reforming education in the district remains unchanged.

Many of you know me well. A 13-year resident of the District, I've worked side-by-side with Michelle Rhee for nearly four years to shape the turnaround of our public schools. With your unwavering support, we've all seen reform pivot education in our city - and we're going to keep going!

The DCPS management team remains intact and focused on continuing reform. And we know that we can count on you to continue this journey with us.

I am excited about the success that we will continue to achieve together. I am equally excited that my tenure begins with our district-wide celebration honoring highly effective educators. A "Standing Ovation for DC Teachers" recognized the supermen and superwomen who educate our future leaders, and I can't think of a better way to illustrate the enduring quality of our reforms.

Continued progress is not an option; it is a necessity for our children's future. And it is reassuring to know that I can depend on your continued support.

By Bill Turque | November 3, 2010; 8:44 AM ET

No comments:

Post a Comment